Today’s marketing is dominated by digital and the web—a place where a plethora of content both useful and useless exists in virtually unlimited supply. For your company to stand out and attract the right attention of leads and customers, you must become your own media outlet.
How do you achieve this?
The answer’s simple: You constantly create awesome, high-quality content that your target audience wants to read and retain!
Consider the following, shocking stats about content on the web. There are:
- 5 billion content shares on Facebook each and every day
- 400 million links to content posted on Twitter each and every day
- 1 million users publishing content on LinkedIn each month
- 300 hours of videos uploaded to YouTube each and every minute
Now check out these stats that prove how beneficial a strong content strategy is for any business:
For each dollar spent, content marketing generates 3 times as many leads as other types of marketing
- 80% of consumers appreciate learning about a company by way of custom content
- 68% of consumers actively spend time reading about their favorite brands
- 60% of people are motivated to seek out a product after reading content about it
- 20% of all the time spent by customers on digital platforms is devoted to reading content
- 70% of customers feel closer to a brand after reading its custom content
- 78% of consumers think that organizations offering custom content want to build good relationships with them
What if your company was able to consistently produce high-value content that would always result in new leads, delighted repeat customers, and continued trust of your brand? That would mean no more hit-and-miss marketing, but, rather, a successful formula for attracting relevant traffic to your website.
That’s exactly what we at Digital Authority Partners have created with our step-by-step outline of the “9 Content Marketing Strategies to Increase Organic Traffic 300%.”
Let’s take a much closer look at each strategy in detail.
Strategy #1: Understand What Good Content Strategy Really Means and How to Build a Plan to Execute It
You have to know the parts of a good content strategy to make it work for you and get leads and traffic to your site.
These parts are:
- Understand and document your content strategy and key performance indicators (KPI) before you start anything
- Define what success will look like and how you’ll measure your content strategy
- Document your content strategy and expected deliverables
- Define and document clear goals for your content-marketing strategy
Strategy #2: Create Long-Form, In-Depth Articles That Are Informational and Produce Clear Value to the Audience
Research consistently shows that the content that’s long-form routinely does best. That’s because these aren’t just your throwaway articles of little value; they’re high-quality content that provide in-depth information and references to your audience.
According to Marketing Profs, blog posts between 1200 and 1400 words get the most social shares.
According to data analyzed by digital-marketing guru Neil Patel, longer content has a better chance of making it to the first page of Google search engine results pages (SERPs), and blog posts of at least 1500 words get more social shares.
Strategy #3: Create Original Visual Content for All Your Content-Marketing Assets
Consider this: Content that includes visual assets receives 94% more views than content in plain text.
Your customers are visual creatures (just like you are!) who can absorb content more efficiently if they can look at images together with an article.
That’s because images sum up the content on your webpages in a very easy-to-understand way that’s memorable. This means that the most successful content-marketing strategies will involve vibrant, powerful, original and visually stimulating proprietary images.
Strategy #4: Learn the Fundamentals of Reader Engagement Best Practices; Then Learn How to Measure It, Track It and Optimize It
In content marketing, reader engagement is a blog visitor who doesn’t just skim the content or bounce off the page; it’s someone who actually reads the article in front of them because they honestly think that your brand is an authority in its field.
Increase reader engagement by:
- Writing long-form blog posts
- Using original images
- Writing for your target audience
- Use compelling titles to tell readers what to expect in the content
- Enable a related-post plugin
- Comment on current events in a company’s niche
Strategy #5: Master the Secrets of “On-Page SEO” Best Practices
Think of on-page SEO (search engine optimization) as the ultimate complement to the awesome content you’re creating. On-page SEO ensures that people will find your content when they search for it on Google by specific keywords and then stay on your site longer.
Here’s a rough sequence of steps of how to achieve that:
- Front-load your title tags
- Create SEO-friendly URLs
- Use multimedia (images) as part of your content strategy
- Use outbound links
- Use keywords at the start of the blog post
- Ensure fast website loading speed
- Use large and intuitive social-sharing buttons
Strategy #6: Create an “Influencers’ strategy” for a Company’s Niche to Help Disseminate, Promote, and Amplify the Content’s Reach
Influencers are highly authoritative people in your specific market who enjoy a significant media presence and lots of followers across their social-media channels. Seen as “celebs,” they’re regarded by those in their field as experts at what they do.
Example: Gary Vaynerchuk for business and entrepreneurship.
We suggest building a strong rapport with such influencers since they can drive business your way by social proof: sharing your content, providing you with quotes to use in your content, and providing backlinks, just to name a few!
Strategy #7: Focus on Quality, Not Quantity: Choose High Impact, Memorable Articles—Not Cheaper-by-the-Dozen Articles
A cheaper-by-the-dozen article is a piece of content that’s short, doesn’t provide any value, and is basically just filler on the page. Avoid those!
High-value and high-quality articles that are actionable and memorable are the key to success when it comes to developing a successful content strategy. This should speak to the needs of your customers.
So create high-quality content that’s extremely relevant to your customers’ industry and business goals.
Strategy #8: Use Controversy and Emotion to Spark Conversations Around Digital Products
In this in-depth piece, Ahrefs editor David McSweeney talks about how one, simple infographic spotlighting what happens to your body an hour after you drink Coke got insane online traffic, pretty much overnight.
That’s because that piece of content produced:
- A controversial conclusion that upset many lovers of Coke
- An emotional reaction due to the less-than-desirable claims about the effects of Coke drinking
- Ensuing conversation about the veracity of the infographic
When you take a strong opinion on a topic, you increase the chance of organic traffic coming to your content and site
Strategy #9: Create a Content Calendar, Publishing Plan and Writing Style Guide—and Stick to It
You want to continually publish new content on your site to tell leads and customers that you’re always active, let Google’s algorithms know that you’re always updating your content freshly, and create new opportunities to reach out to influencers.
A content calendar, publishing plan and style guide that you stick to are how to do it!
This will require internal alignment across different teams in your company, repurposing content for new business goals, and then tracking performance through key performance indicators (KPI).
Do ALL of these 9 strategies together, and you’re assured to get more traffic, conversions and sales. What you just read was a very breezy and general summary of our in-depth and highly detailed white paper by the same name: “9 Content Marketing Strategies to Increase Organic Traffic by 300%.”
If you liked what you just read and are now more interested than ever in how to use content marketing to drastically increase your online traffic, download our “9 Content Marketing Strategies to Increase Organic Traffic by 300%” white paper for more examples, case studies, and juicier details about how to create a successful content strategy for your company.