Is a Fractional CMO Truly Worth the Cost? (Questions to Ask)
Hiring a fractional Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) can be cost-effective compared to hiring a full-time CMO, as you only pay for the services and time needed. However, the cost can still be relatively high. Therefore, make comparisons to determine if the cost of a fractional CMO is worth it compared to the potential benefits for your business.
Ask the following questions:
- Can a fractional CMO provide successful marketing strategies?
- Can we work with someone with a short-term commitment?
- Do we need someone with broader marketing experience?
- Can we afford a fractional CMO?
- How often does a fractional CMO provide reports and updates?
Find out if a Las Vegas fractional CMO is right for you. Let’s go!
Wondering what a Fractional CMO can do for your business? Watch this video below.
Can a Fractional CMO Provide Successful Marketing Strategies?
Since your in-house team is new to strategy creation, you may have wondered if a fractional CMO can produce effective marketing strategies. You may even be asking this question after several hit-and-miss methods, as it may seem that you are wasting time and money with unproductive techniques.
When hiring a fractional CMO, you can expect successful marketing strategies for every campaign. They collaborate with multiple clients across various industries. Thus, they have a broader perspective on strategies that have worked successfully for different businesses.
They also have a deep understanding of the latest industry trends and best practices. They are constantly adapting their marketing strategies to achieve the best results for their clients. Having a fractional CMO on a team brings an outsider's perspective to a business, which helps identify new opportunities and provides unbiased feedback.
To ensure that a fractional CMO aligns with your business's marketing strategies, follow these strategies:
- Have a clear understanding of your business's marketing goals and objectives.
- Assess the CMO's experience and expertise in your industry and specific market.
- Request a marketing plan that aligns with your business goals and objectives.
Can We Work with Someone in a Short-Term Commitment?
Some businesses may hesitate to work with a fractional CMO due to concerns about the part-time arrangement and whether their campaigns will receive enough attention. However, fractional CMOs' short-term commitments can yield quick results, allowing them to immediately adjust marketing strategies based on data and feedback.
In addition, short-term commitments mean businesses only pay for the services they need, making this an option for those with limited marketing budgets. A fractional CMO is also highly motivated to achieve quick wins and prove its value to a business, which creates a sense of urgency and focus to help the marketing team reach its goals effectively.
Ultimately, working with a fractional CMO can be a wise choice for businesses looking to quickly improve their marketing ROI. To ensure the best outcome, assess whether a fractional CMO can efficiently complete short-term commitments. Use the following best practices:
- Define your project scope and timeline.
- Set expectations and deliverables for the fractional CMO.
- Clarify communication channels. Ensure that they understand your preferred method of communication as well as how often they should provide updates.
- Provide the necessary resources to complete the project, such as access to data, marketing collateral, and other essential tools.
- Evaluate the fractional CMO's progress regularly to ensure that they meet the project's timeline and deliverables.
Do We Need Someone with Broader Marketing Experience?
Local businesses may not immediately recognize the benefits of hiring a fractional CMO due to concerns about their outsider status and lack of knowledge about the local market. However, a fractional CMO's expertise in social media, content marketing, or SEO can offer unique and valuable insights that an in-house CMO may not be able to provide.
In essence, an in-house CMO may be unable to match the extensive experience of a digital marketing consultant. By helping companies improve marketing tactics to reach more customers, fractional CMOs play a vital role in the growth and expansion of local businesses.
Consider these steps to find out if a fractional CMO has comprehensive experience:
- Review their resume or LinkedIn profile and look for roles and responsibilities demonstrating a wide range of industry experience.
- Check references and testimonials and inquire about the breadth of their experience. Ask for specific examples of how the CMO helped businesses achieve their marketing objectives.
- Ask specific questions about CMOs’ experience working with different industries and sizes of businesses. Inquire about challenges that were faced and how they overcame them.
Can We Afford a Fractional CMO?
You may have also thought about hiring a fractional CMO within your budget. Fractional CMOs can be expensive due to their hourly rates or project fees. These can range from a few hundred to several thousand dollars. Note that the cost of hiring a fractional CMO is typically lower than that of a full-time CMO.
A fractional CMO's hourly rate or project fee reflects their expertise, experience, and the value that they can bring to a business. Fractional CMOs are highly skilled marketing professionals with a history of success in helping businesses achieve marketing goals.
Overall, while the hourly rate or project fee for a fractional CMO may seem expensive, it is crucial to consider the value and cost-effectiveness of their services compared to having a full-time CMO on staff.
How Often Does a Fractional CMO Provide Reports and Updates?
Because a fractional CMO works part-time, you may have wondered when they would provide updates and reports. A fractional marketing expert is transparent and efficient. They ask clients for their reporting and updating preferences and follow them.
They let clients select their preferred reporting medium, such as email, graphs, and/or charts. They also communicate all updates and changes to their clients.
To fully understand if a fractional CMO is right for your business, be honest about your concerns regarding hiring one. Answer the previously outlined questions to determine if a fractional CMO is worth the cost of a full-time CMO.
An expert Las Vegas fractional CMO could be the marketing expert that you have been seeking. Contact Digital Authority Partners (DAP) to learn how a part-time CMO can make a difference in your marketing campaigns.
Want To Meet Our Expert Team?
Book a meeting directly here