5 Questions To Ask When Hiring a Digital Strategy Consultant
A digital strategy consultant assists businesses in applying, enhancing, and innovating digital technologies to create new strategies. When looking for the best agency, you must ask the right questions to get the services that you need.
This article presents questions to ask digital strategy experts regarding the following:
- Services that they offer
- Digital tools and media
- Client communication techniques
- Expertise in the industry
- Company values and beliefs
Hire only the best digital strategy agency. Let’s go!
Watch this video to find out more about how Digital Authority Partners can create a great marketing strategy for you!
1. Clarify the Services That They Offer
Asking about the services a consultant offers will determine if they can provide the specific digital marketing services that suits your business needs. Digital marketing is a broad and diverse field, and different businesses may require various types of services depending on their goals, target audience, and industry.
With asking the right questions, you can better understand whether they have the expertise and capabilities to meet your needs. Here are some that you might consider asking:
- What digital consulting services do you offer, and which ones are your specialty?
- Do you offer a full-service approach to digital consulting or specialize in specific areas?
- What approach will you use to develop a comprehensive digital consulting strategy, and how do you determine which services are best suited for a business?
- What sets your digital marketing services apart from other agencies?
- Why should I choose to work with you?
2. Inquire about Digital Tools and Media
The agency’s digital tools and media give insight into their level of expertise and ability to develop effective strategies. Understanding which digital tools and media channels a consultant uses can help you evaluate their industry knowledge, proficiency, and ability to stay updated with emerging trends and technologies.
Knowing these also helps determine their approach to creating content and engaging with audiences online. These questions should be at the top of your list when hiring a digital strategy consultant:
- How do you decide which digital media channels to use for a particular campaign, and what criteria do you use to evaluate their effectiveness?
- How do you ensure that your digital media aligns with your target audience's preferences and behavior?
- How do you stay current with emerging digital media trends and technologies and decide which ones are worth incorporating into your campaigns?
- What are examples of successful campaigns that you have led, and how did you use digital tools and media to achieve your goals?
3. Focus on Client Communication Techniques
Different clients have different communication styles and preferences. Some prefer regular face-to-face meetings, while others prefer email or phone communication. By understanding a client’s communication preferences, a digital strategy consultant should be able to match their approach to meet the client’s needs and expectations.
Good communication is essential for building trust and rapport with clients. A consultant who communicates effectively and regularly can create a positive working relationship with the client. This can lead to a better understanding of the client's needs, goals, and expectations, which ultimately lead to better outcomes for the project.
Include the following questions to determine an agency’s communication techniques:
- How do you typically communicate with your clients throughout a project, and what channels do you use?
- What steps do you take to ensure that your clients are informed and involved throughout the project?
- What are examples of effective communication strategies that you have used in past projects, and how did they contribute to the success of the projects?
- How do you measure and report on the success of a digital marketing campaign to clients, and on what metrics do you typically focus?
4. Find Out Their Expertise in the Industry
You want to hire an expert and experienced consultant for your campaigns. To do so, evaluate the agency's knowledge, experience, and ability to develop effective digital marketing strategies that align with your business goals and target audience.
A consultant with solid expertise can bring a wealth of knowledge to the project. They have a better understanding of the latest trends and best practices in the industry, the ability to identify and analyze target audience behavior, and proficiency in using a wide range of digital marketing tools and techniques. Ask the following questions to determine a consultant’s expertise:
- What are your experiences with developing digital marketing strategies for businesses in my industry or niche?
- What are your experiences with search engine optimization (SEO), and what strategies do you use to improve a website's search engine ranking?
- How do you incorporate social media marketing into a broader digital marketing strategy, and what metrics do you use to measure its effectiveness?
- What are your experiences with email marketing, and how do you use it to engage with a target audience and drive conversions?
- How do you measure and optimize the ROI of digital marketing efforts, and on what metrics do you typically focus?
5. Highlight Company Values and Beliefs
Asking a digital strategy consultant about their company's values and beliefs helps you understand their approach to digital marketing, and how they work with clients. By asking about these values and beliefs, you can gain insights into how the digital marketing strategist or agency approaches their work, as well as whether their approach aligns with your business values and goals.
Understanding an agency’s values and beliefs can help you identify potential red flags or warning signs. For example, if an agency's values don't align with your own, or if they have a reputation for using aggressive, unethical, or black-hat SEO tactics, you may want to consider working with a different agency. These questions should help:
- What are your company's core values, and how do they inform your approach to digital marketing?
- How do you handle ethical dilemmas or conflicts while providing digital marketing services?
- What are your approaches to transparency and accountability in your client work?
- How do you ensure providing high-quality, effective digital marketing services, while also maintaining ethical standards and practices?
- What are your approaches to building long-term, sustainable relationships with clients, and how do you ensure that you provide them value over time?
Asking digital strategy consultants relevant questions, such as about their services, digital tools, and media and communication techniques, helps determine if you are hiring the right agency. Remember to ask about their industry expertise, company values, and beliefs to secure the best help for your digital marketing team.
Contact Digital Authority Partners and hire the right digital strategy consultants.
Want To Meet Our Expert Team?
Book a meeting directly here