Ditch These 3 Useless SEO Practices
Search engines are constantly changing and adapting to new search trends. Whether you work with an SEO agency or do SEO yourself, you must consider the latest optimization techniques to promote your business online.
And in using the latest trends, you should also know how to distinguish the best SEO strategies from useless practices. What are these SEO strategies?
Want to learn more about the Digital Authority Partners approach to SEO? Watch this video!
1. Don’t Write to Rank; Write for Content
How often did you hear "creating content to rank higher on search engine results"? Optimized content aims to improve your ranking in search engine result pages (SERPs) by helping search engines like Google understand and index your data. With higher ranks, you're sure to catch more attention and thus, increase traffic to your website.
But creating the best content must not be focused on pleasing search engines. Good content improves user experience because your audience finds your content helpful and informative. These content qualities make your audience more likely to interact with or share your website, or come back for similar content. These are positive signs of user experience.
High user experience is critical in ranking for Google's page experience. Improved page experience also helps in promoting your website on search engine results. Focus on creating meaningful content for your readers, and eventually, you'll get the results you're looking for. Consider these strategies to create better content for your audience:
- Develop content that serves your purpose. Whether you want to highlight your new products or promote your service or content, consider what your audience will read, listen, or view.
- Establish your site as the best place to get industry information by addressing user search intent, creating linkable content, developing quality backlinks, and removing “no follow” links, which are links with a “rel=’nofollow’ tag”.
- Publish case studies, reviews, and comparisons. These valuable sources of information capture a comprehensive range of perspectives on a subject and could help improve your audience’s buying experience.
- Share tips, strategies, and how-to content. These improve the usefulness and relevance of your website.
- Add helpful interactive tools to improve user experience. Interactive tools like calculators, quizzes, converters, assessment tools, style profilers, etc., improve user engagement.
2. Don’t Worry So Much About the Domain Name
You must have heard about marketers stressing over the keywords to be placed in the domain name. This is an old belief that does not apply anymore.
Years ago, having your keywords on your domain name was a plus, because users typed your keywords in a search and clicked on your domain name and link which contained these keywords.
But this practice was dismissed by Google's John Mueller in 2020, saying there's no ranking benefit to placing keywords in a domain name. A website with keywords in its domain name does not mean that they are more relevant compared to those domain names lacking a keyword.
Instead of spending time optimizing your domain name or using a top-level domain name, build a website that helps you rank higher for an extended period. Here are a few strategies to help you get started:
- Improve on-page SEO by observing proper keyword placement and creating engaging titles, meta descriptions, and headers, and investing in expert copywriting services.
- Monitor and improve technical SEO by optimizing your site for mobile, improving page loading speeds, and checking your coverage via Google Search Console.
- Consider search intent when creating content to answer your users' questions and develop structured pages that are friendly to your audience and search engines.
- Publish engaging, top-quality content to attract your audience and engage them to take action.
- Create a long-term backlink strategy. You can do this by publishing linkable content, creating long-form content, and adding visual content like maps, videos, charts, infographics, flowcharts, and more.
3. It’s Not Just About Keywords and Metrics
When searching for tips to create optimized content, you'll likely come across tactics like minding keyword density, building links while following a certain percentage of anchor text, and many more.
These strategies are an essential part of SEO because search engines are machines that understand these concepts better than content quality and significance. But Google has become far better and has developed its search parameters through search trends and signals.
Marketers no longer have to fake these signals but instead can concentrate on creating content that benefits their audience. Remember these strategies to create lasting, high-value content:
- Lure your customers in with engaging content. Use enticing information which provokes your audience’s interest.
- Use storytelling to create an impact. Storytelling can arouse your audience's emotions and take them to where you want them to be.
- Experiment with different content. Find the type of content that your audience will easily and readily consume. In addition to text content, use videos, infographics, images, tables, podcasts, etc.
- Consider the right timing, the channel (blog post, video site, social media, etc.), and your audience. Create a profile of your audience to find out their preferred time and channel.
- Make content for your audience or customer. The best way to find out what content your customers prefer is to ask them. Use surveys, feedback forms, and quizzes to find out.
- Use benefits-driven, highly-targeted content. This type of content can help you convert your audience into customers and your customers into loyal fans.
Of course, studying your site metrics and knowing how these affect your ranking is crucial in optimizing your content. As Semrush states, successful content marketing combines a good content strategy, clear targets, and analysis of results. Your content may be engaging and well-written, but in the end, it will be gauged by the value it provides to your business.
Ditching these three outdated and useless SEO strategies can help you create a customer-focused, high-ranking website that will promote your content, business, or brand for a long time. Start optimizing your website with these top strategies today!
Search engines update their algorithms regularly, and part of these updates are changing trends in SEO. Learning and applying these SEO strategies and discarding old and out-of-date practices will help you create optimized content for your customers. These will also allow search engines to index your content easily.
If your firm needs help to stay on top of the latest trends in SEO practices, it is worthwhile to consider an SEO agency. Contacting an experienced, reputable firm could boost your bottom line without cutting a whole in your wallet.
Want to meet with our team?
Book a meeting directly here