How To Maximize Knowledge Graphs for Your Best SEO Ranking
Since Google integrates artificial intelligence (AI) into its search engine and handles massive volumes of data, now is the best time to learn how to make the most of one of its greatest tools: the knowledge graph. With the right SEO agency, you can use it to supercharge online visibility and traffic.
This article outlines some of the best strategies:
- Organize your structured data with schema markup.
- Tighten your content to speak about your brand.
- Claim your knowledge panel.
Read below to learn how to implement all these tips.
Want to learn more about the Digital Authority Partners approach to SEO? Watch this video!
Power Up Brand Awareness through Knowledge Graph SEO
Google manages billions of pieces of information daily, so organization matters to ensure that users can make sense of the search results. One of its more popular tools is the knowledge graph.
The Google knowledge graph is a semantic network of interconnected ideas, facts, and entities that the search engine uses to understand what users are asking for and return better-targeted search results.
Think of it like a mind-mapping tool, where everything you need to know about a certain topic is interconnected and cross-linked. This way, if you search about, say, the best tourist attractions in Tokyo, you will get not only a list of these places but also:
- Related places
- Nearby attractions
- Travel tips and guides
- Information about public transportation
Google’s knowledge graph is also the backbone for its other search features, such as Discovery and Google Trends. It also appears in the search results as the knowledge panel, the box you see on the right-hand side of the screen, or the additional menus above the search engine results pages (SERPs).
Mastering this feature can potentially give you a huge boost in brand awareness and even traffic, breaking the myth that it decreases your click-through rate (CTR). It also improves user experience (UX), now a crucial ranking factor.
But how do you exactly do it?
According to Google, the knowledge graph runs through automation, embedded in its algorithms. In other words, the search engine does not have a lot of control over what it picks up and displays on the panels or trend lists.
However, some tried-and-tested techniques can help you steer your knowledge graph in the right direction.
1. Organize Your Structured Data with Schema Markup
Schema markup is a type of HTML code that helps search engines better understand the content of webpages or other data on the Internet. It essentially makes it easier for them to “crawl” through information and index it for related queries.
By using schema markup, you can add extra information to your website and make sure that Google puts the correct data on your knowledge graph. This way, you ensure that users see only accurate information about your brand.
You can design schema markup for different types of structured data. These include:
You can also enrich local SEO tactics with the same markup through entities, such as:
- Business address and contact information
- Opening hours
- Schedules for special events or holidays
- Reviews and ratings
The challenge in creating the schema markup is that it requires knowledge of HTML and some coding, which is why we highly recommend getting help from a reliable SEO agency.
2. Create a Brand-Centric Content Plan and Grow Your Influence
While you cannot control how Google Knowledge Graph works, you can manage what it picks up about your brand—that is, guarantee that the information is:
- Fair or objective
- Keyword related
The only way to do that is to develop brand-centric content that shows your credibility, authority, and expertise. Here are ideas on how to do it:
- Write content that speaks directly to your target audience.
- Incorporate relevant keywords in every piece of content you develop.
- Rely on facts and figures from research and data-backed sources.
- Update content based on new Google recommendations and guidelines, such as helpful content and E-E-A-T.
- Make sure the content is verifiable by trusted sources.
- Publish regularly to establish a consistent voice.
- Utilize multimedia to keep your content engaging and fresh.
- Complete your Google My Business profile with the right information about your business.
- Build topic clusters to show off your in-depth knowledge about your niche, grow your backlinks, and increase your organic visibility.
Once you already have significant, well-written content, you can now grow your influence by:
- Creating relationships with established bloggers and influencers
- Reaching out to the press for brand mentions or exclusive interviews
- Engaging in social media conversations related to your niche
- Developing an email list and sending newsletters regularly
- Promoting content on various platforms, such as Quora, Reddit, Twitter, Pinterest, and more
- Encouraging user-generated content, customer feedback, and reviews
The point is to get people talking about you until Google has a large quantity of data that can trigger a brand-related knowledge panel and an appearance in Discover.
3. Claim Your Knowledge Panel
Google may be a mighty search engine, but it is not infallible. The knowledge graph, for example, can still contain inaccuracies or misleading information. It is understandable considering the different types of data out there.
But you cannot afford these mistakes, especially when you are using the knowledge graph to push your SEO efforts.
That is why you should learn to claim your knowledge panel. Doing it means you can immediately correct wrong information and further control what your audience sees and learns about your business.
How do you know you already have one? It is simple:
- Open Google and type related brand entities. These could be your business name, specific product or service, or even your personal name.
- Check the right-hand side of the screen.
- If you can see a well-detailed box, then you have a knowledge panel.
If you do have a knowledge panel, how do you claim it? Follow these steps:
- Log in to your Google account. If you have a business account, which preferably you are using for My Google Business profile, use it here.
- Click Claim This Knowledge Panel at the bottom of the box. It will redirect you to a Google page.
- Press Get Verified to let the search engine confirm that you, indeed, own the information on the panel.
- Sign in using your profile on Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, and Search Console to verify that you represent the brand or entity.
That is it! Google will contact you if it needs more information. You can avoid hiccups by choosing a representative to manage the entity or panel.
Google’s knowledge graph is an invaluable tool that can help your SEO efforts and increase visibility in SERPs. And we have three actionable strategies to get the most out of it.
But we are merely touching the surface. To ensure you are always ahead of the game, work with a reputable agency to help you maximize the benefits of these tools. At Digital Authority Partners, we help you build a complete and robust knowledge graph, identify opportunities, and keep track of updates in the SERP landscape. Contact us today to learn more.
Want to meet with our team?
Book a meeting directly here