Is It Good? Weighing Pros vs Cons of AI-Generated Content
More companies are using AI-generated content, so you might wonder whether you should do the same. A customer-centric SEO agency helps you decide by helping you weigh the pros and cons of AI-generated material for your business.
This blog post covers AI-related items such as:
- Improved efficiency and speed
- New content ideas and perspectives
- Lack of human creativity and intuition
- Limited contextual understanding
- Issues with ethics and biases
Is AI content good for your business? Read below to know the answer! Let’s go!
Want to learn more about the Digital Authority Partners approach to SEO? Watch this video!
3 Huge Benefits of AI-Generated Content
How does AI shape modern marketing? Let us count the ways, beginning with how it positively impacts content production and promotion.
1. Improved Efficiency and Speed
Search engines have long made it clear: quality trumps quantity. This point perfectly explains why long-form content usually ranks higher in search results. After all, nothing diminishes the user experience faster than opening one URL after another to find the right information.
However, publishing at least three well-written articles each month comes with several significant benefits:
- You have more chances of ranking for various keywords.
- It helps you achieve good domain authority faster.
- This content-planning technique boosts the effectiveness of topic clustering.
- It supports off-page optimization tactics, especially link-building and social media.
Artificial intelligence (AI) increases content production through a more efficient writing process. It can:
- Analyze big data in seconds or minutes, which would take considerably longer for human writers.
- Automate various stages of content creation, such as research, analysis, and drafting.
- Assist in topic selection and research.
- Generate outlines, suggest structure and formatting, and even offer relevant reference sources.
AI also makes content marketing more agile, so copies stay relevant and valuable for search engines and their users. In particular, you can adapt articles to different formats and simultaneously target multiple channels for promotion.
This time-saving benefit enables you to meet deadlines more effectively, publish content promptly and consistently, and sustain lead generation by engaging your audiences.
Online advertising can be expensive. In 2022, Amazon broke the record for annual spending by any marketer when its global digital marketing expenses rose by 22%, or a whopping $20.6 billion. Despite being an ecommerce giant, Jeff Bezos’s company still plans to streamline its marketing costs because of slower sales growth.
You can then imagine the massive impact low revenues, competition, and uncertainties have on small enterprises and startups. These businesses often have no choice but to spend at least 5% of their budget on advertising to remain competitive.
This is why SEO and AI make good partners. The technology increases your cash flow and even slows down your burn rate in the following ways:
- Organizations can eliminate or minimize expenses associated with recruiting, onboarding, training, and retaining a large team of writers by automating content creation processes.
- AI algorithms can generate content swiftly and consistently, allowing a single writer or a smaller team to accomplish more in less time.
- A decreased workload enables content creators to focus on higher-level tasks. These include strategic planning, content optimization, and audience engagement.
- It refines the overall editing process, making it less time-consuming.
- AI helps you scale content marketing depending on your growth or market demand (e.g., ad localization).
- Organizations can strategically allocate their resources to other critical areas, thanks to cost savings from using AI. For instance, they can reinvest in flourishing marketing campaigns, product development, and customer support.
3. New Content Marketing Ideas and Perspectives
Duplicate content accounts for a significant percentage of the search results. Although search engines do not penalize you for creating cookie-cutter copy (unless you are manipulating the results), doing so does not serve you well either. For one, this type of content will struggle to meet the E-E-A-T guidelines.
How do you make your content stand out among the thousands of new articles indexed daily? Consider using AI. This technology can be valuable for idea generation and inspiration. It can:
- Generate alternative solutions or approaches
- Explore unique angles
- Uncover fresh perspectives
- Provide options for content variation
- Suggest ways to enhance the output
- Create visuals, layouts, and user interfaces for better aesthetics and UX
You can also use its incredible ability to gather and analyze data to customize content according to your audience, tone, and message. This level of personalization can change the way you connect with your readers.
3 Ways AI-Generated Content Hurts SEO
The way AI influences modern marketing can make it any business’s new best friend. However, everything comes with limitations, and this technology is no exception.
Here are the biggest cons of AI-generated content concerning your optimization efforts:
1. Lack of Human Creativity and Intuition
Have you ever read an article so compelling and engaging that you seemed to want more? You visit other pages, share the link with friends, and subscribe to the website or blog to avoid missing new content.
Such is the power of creativity and intuition in strengthening any optimization plan, which most AI content writing lacks. Unlike humans, AI cannot think abstractly, relate seemingly unrelated ideas properly, or connect with your readers emotionally.
Most of all, AI usually fails to be empathetic because it cannot do nuanced storytelling. This skill demands a deep understanding of people’s experiences, feelings, and values, which only human writers possess. For this reason, automated content is often lackluster and formulaic.
2. Limited Contextual Understanding
If content is king, context is queen. For example, Google's multitask unified model (MUM) emphasizes the latter.
Many AI writing tools try to capture human nuances by letting you customize the brand voice, language, and tone. However, they are very basic, if not crude, because the technology works better by following predefined rules.
This limitation then results in content that:
- Fails to consider cultural nuances and audience diversity
- Does not showcase your specialized knowledge and expertise that bring a level of depth and authenticity to your brand
- Feels outdated and not reflective of the times because AI writing platforms usually depend on historical data
3. Ethical Concerns and Bias
One of the biggest concerns about AI-generated content is whether it is ethical. Google has already said that it does not distinguish AI- and human-written copy for ranking (at least for now). Again, everything boils down to quality. Is it valuable, helpful, and original?
However, AI learns from the available data. If the information it analyzes is wrong, inequitable, or biased, you can expect your output to be biased. For instance, a study revealed that AI content detectors wrongfully flag submissions by non-English speakers as automatically generated.
These biases can then perpetuate stereotypes, discrimination, or marginalization in the generated content.
Further, AI-generated content does not promote accountability and transparency, especially in terms of the accuracy and ownership of ideas and information. For this reason, an expert SEO agency establishes clear guidelines, policies, and processes for content review and quality assurance. It also sets the rules for addressing and avoiding any ethical concerns.
AI improves content marketing and SEO by streamlining workflows, improving the user experience, and infusing ideas or insights that help your copy stand out.
However, no technology is perfect, AI included. Instead, it shines best with human intervention from a forward-thinking SEO agency.
Digital Authority Partners (DAP) uses innovation to scale content production, tailor messaging, and support business growth. Contact us to learn more.
Want To Meet Our Expert Team?
Book a meeting directly here