Look at the ROI! ADA Digital Compliance Makes More Cents
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) ensures equal access and non-discrimination for individuals with disabilities. It involves making physical spaces, communication methods, and digital platforms accessible to people with disabilities.
Businesses and organizations also gain from ADA compliance. One of these benefits is increasing the company's return on investment (ROI). In this guide, we highlight how following ADA regulations can increase ROI by:
- Expanding customer base.
- Improving reputation.
- Providing a competitive advantage.
- Offering online accessibility.
- Enhancing legal compliance.
Evaluate your website’s ADA compliance and improve your revenue. Let’s go!
To learn how Digital Authority Partners can create a standout website for you, watch this video!
Expanding Customer Base
By making their products, services, and facilities accessible to individuals with disabilities, companies open their businesses to a more extensive customer base, including people with visual, auditory, physical, and cognitive impairments. These individuals might have previously been unable to access the company’s offerings.
Businesses can attract and retain these customers through an ADA-compliant website, leading to increased sales and revenue. Here are some tips on ADA guidelines that companies should use to expand their market base and increase ROI:
- Familiarize themselves with ADA guidelines and regulations applicable to their fields. Industries have specific accessibility standards for physical spaces, digital platforms, communication, and employment practices.
- Conduct an accessibility audit by assessing your physical locations, website, mobile applications, and other digital assets for accessibility barriers.
- Develop a roadmap that outlines steps for achieving ADA compliance. Prioritize actions according to their impact and feasibility.
- Provide training and education to employees about ADA compliance and the importance of accessibility. Cover topics such as providing effective communication, accommodating individuals with disabilities, and utilizing accessible technologies.
- Provide alternative text for images, use proper heading structure, ensure keyboard navigation compatibility, and ensure that your website is compatible with screen readers and other assistive technologies.
- Provide options such as sign language interpreters, captioning services, accessible documents, and assistive listening devices.
Demonstrating a commitment to inclusivity and accessibility enhances a company's reputation. When customers see that a business values all individuals and strives to provide equal opportunities, they are more likely to develop a positive brand perception.
Having a good reputation results in increased customer loyalty, repeat business, and positive word-of-mouth referrals, ultimately driving revenue growth. Here are five best practices to improve reputation through ADA compliance:
- Strive to create an inclusive environment that exceeds expectations by making accessibility a core business value.
- Communicate ADA compliance efforts and accessibility initiatives to the public. Use your website, social media channels, and marketing materials to highlight steps that your business has taken to make your products, services, and facilities accessible.
- Foster meaningful relationships with the disability community and disability advocacy groups.
- Provide accessible customer support channels for individuals with disabilities. Offer multiple contact methods, including options for individuals with hearing or speech impairments, such as text-based communication or video relay services.
- Consider obtaining third-party certifications or accreditations that validate your ADA compliance efforts. Certifications such as the International Symbol of Access (ISA) or web accessibility certifications can serve as proof of your commitment to accessibility.
Providing a Competitive Advantage
In today's market, businesses that prioritize social responsibility and accessibility gain a competitive edge because consumers value such companies. By exceeding basic compliance requirements, companies can differentiate their businesses from competitors and attract customers who seek inclusive and accessible establishments.
This translates into increased revenue and market share. Here are a few pointers on how to adapt ADA to gain a competitive advantage:
- Exceed minimum requirements to provide an exceptional level of accessibility. Consider the specific needs of individuals with disabilities and aim to create an environment that exceeds their expectations.
- Conduct a competitor analysis and identify gaps or areas where they might fall short in accessibility.
- Emphasize the advantages of choosing your business over competitors in terms of accessibility and inclusivity.
- Embrace assistive technologies that enhance the accessibility of products, services, and digital platforms.
- Showcase testimonials, success stories, and case studies demonstrating how your accessibility measures have helped individuals with disabilities.
Offering Online Accessibility
ADA compliance extends to digital platforms, including websites and mobile applications. Making the business’s online presence accessible to individuals with disabilities enhances the user experience, improves search engine visibility, and increases conversion rates.
By optimizing their website for accessibility, businesses are able to reach a broader audience and potentially increase online sales, resulting in revenue growth. Consider the following top techniques to improve online accessibility through ADA compliance:
- Make sure that websites and digital platforms comply with web accessibility standards, such as the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG). This helps make websites perceivable, operable, understandable, and robust for individuals with disabilities.
- Consider involving individuals with disabilities in the testing process to gain valuable feedback.
- Ensure that your documents, such as PDFs, are accessible and screen reader friendly.
- Keep social media content accessible by choosing platforms that prioritize accessibility and provide built-in accessibility features. Engage in social media using accessibility-focused hashtags.
Enhancing Legal Compliance
Non-compliance with ADA regulations can lead to legal issues and penalties. Mitigate the risk of costly litigation and fines by proactively ensuring that the website is ADA-compliant.
The financial resources saved by avoiding legal battles may be redirected towards business development and other revenue-generating activities. Remember these additional ADA compliance best practices:
- Stay updated on any changes to ADA guidelines in your industry to ensure ongoing compliance.
- Keep up with legal developments related to ADA compliance. Monitor lawsuits, settlements, or legal precedents related to accessibility.
- Consult with legal professionals specializing in ADA compliance to make sure that you have the legal knowledge to avoid penalties.
- Hire accessibility consultants or experts to conduct regular and comprehensive audits, if needed.
- Document your efforts by keeping detailed records of accessibility initiatives, audits, improvements, and staff training.
- Track compliance efforts, including dates, actions taken, and outcomes. This can serve as evidence of your commitment to ADA compliance and might be helpful in the event of any inquiries or legal disputes.
It is important to note that the impact on revenue might vary depending on factors such as the specific industry, target audience, and extent of accessibility improvements made. Investing in ADA compliance may yield financial benefits while promoting inclusivity and equal access for all individuals.
Talk to an ADA compliance expert to learn more about meeting ADA regulations to boost your business’s revenue. Contact Digital Authority Partners (DAP) today for more information on how we can help.
Want To Meet Our Expert Team?
Book a meeting directly here