5 Best Ways To Optimize Mobile App Performance (Quick List)
Mobile apps help customers book appointments, shop for products, and get updated information. However, if an app is slow, unresponsive, or frequently crashes, users are likely to abandon it and move on to a competitor.
A mobile app development agency in Chicago recommends optimizing your app with the following top techniques:
- Enhance app onboarding
- Improve user experience (UX) research
- Create a personalized app experience
- Update design elements
- Fix app crashes
Improve your mobile app to promote your brand and reach more customers. Let’s go!
100+ companies trust us with their mobile app development needs. Watch the video below to learn why.
1. Enhance App Onboarding
It is during onboarding that users first experience the app. Those who continue using it after onboarding are likely to have found the process to be seamless and practical. Thus, keep the onboarding engaging to provide a positive user experience.
The onboarding process varies depending on what the app does. A food delivery app, for example, may require users to sign up with their mobile number and a one-time password (OTP) to register. Others can be as easy as scanning a QR code.
During onboarding, the app may also require users to verify their location on a map. Some may necessitate profile completion, while others may give the option to do it later. During the onboarding process is also when users learn how to navigate the app and can read the terms and conditions.
When customizing your app’s onboarding, make sure that you:
- Keep the process straightforward to avoid losing users’ interest.
- Include visual aids like images or videos to encourage engagement.
- Use simple language to make sure that instructions are clear and easy to follow.
- Highlight benefits for users, by showing how the app can help them.
- Allow skip options because some people may already be familiar with the app or may want to discover features on their own.
- Continuously update onboarding, keeping in mind user suggestions on relevant improvements.
2. Improve User Experience Research
Ensure that your app is engaging, user-friendly, and effective by learning the trends in the app category. Find out what your competitors offer, how they onboard, and the visual elements they apply. Based on your research, brainstorm with your team about improving your app, especially by providing an excellent experience.
A food ordering app for a restaurant could have the option to view the menu in augmented reality or have menu filtering options. Research new trends by doing the following:
- Be clear about what you want to know. Do you want to understand how people use your app, identify areas where they struggle, or gather responses on new features?
- Use appropriate research methods for your goals and budget. Do you need surveys, user testing, in-app analytics, or focus groups?
- Create your app’s target audience, including current and potential users and those who have recently stopped using your app.
- Define data-based personas so that you can better understand your target audience’s needs, preferences, and behaviors.
- Identify and prioritize the improvement with the most significant impact on user experience.
3. Create a Personalized App Experience
Personalization helps build brand loyalty. People who feel like an app is a custom fit for their needs and preferences are more likely to use it regularly, and engage with its features. They feel a deeper connection to it and are less likely to switch to a competitor.
Personalize your apps by:
- Collecting user data such as demographics, preferences, behavior, and usage patterns, so that you can tailor the experience to each user;
- Using push notifications to increase engagement and deliver messages, alerts, and updates based on user preferences and behavior;
- Allowing customization by providing options for themes, colors, font sizes, and other visual elements.
- Increasing user motivation and loyalty by providing personalized rewards and incentives to those who engage with the app regularly, or who achieve certain milestones.
4. Update Design Elements
Regularly updating the app's design keeps it current and improves the overall UX. By incorporating new design elements or improving existing ones, you’ll make your mobile app easier to use and more intuitive. This leads to increased engagement and user satisfaction.
Note, also, that mobile app design trends and user expectations quickly change. Design updates help you keep up, fix usability issues, and maintain consistency across your apps for a unified brand identity.
Be sure to update your design with the following in mind:
- Create a simple menu or navigation bar that is easily accessible anywhere on the app.
- Apply a visually appealing color scheme that is consistent throughout the design.
- Use easy-to-read fonts with varying sizes and weights to create a visual hierarchy and emphasize important information.
- Include icons and images relevant to your content, purpose, and brand.
- Enhance the layout to make it intuitive.
5. Fix App Crashes
Fixing app crashes is crucial for providing a good user experience and maintaining satisfaction. A crash is when an app suddenly stops working, forcing the user to close and restart it. It could be due to programming errors, hardware issues, or network connectivity problems.
Fix app issues ASAP, to avoid negative reviews and decreased engagement.
Here are a few tips for fixing mobile app crashes:
- Check the app logs, error messages, and crash reports to determine what is causing the app to crash.
- Ensure that the app is up to date, as app crashes could also be due to outdated software.
- Clear the app cache to remove corrupt data or cache files.
- Determine if the issue is device-specific or app-specific by running the app on different devices.
Work with developers, such as a mobile app development agency, to identify and fix the issue. These experts can provide more in-depth insights and solutions to the problem. Besides, they follow mobile app security trends to keep your app users safe.
Improve your mobile app experience and engage customers by enhancing onboarding, improving UX research, and creating a personalized experience. Don’t forget technical optimizations, like updating site elements and fixing app crashes. All of these strategies promote your app, and your business overall.
Do you want to know more about mobile app optimization? Contact Digital Authority Partners today, for the latest in app development.
Want To Meet Our Expert Team?
Book a meeting directly here