Is Custom Software Worth the Cost? Find ROI To Learn Value
The San Diego economy is strong, but that is no excuse to be cavalier with your business investments. One investment you may be considering is building custom software. You know its benefits, but you also know the costs. If you want to get the maximum return on investment (ROI), working with a San Diego software development agency is best to help you achieve the best ROI on this major investment.
We can help you determine the ROI of building custom software. This article talks about:
- Defining ROI
- Identifying costs
- Determining quantifiable benefits
- Assessing the value of intangibles
- Gathering data
- Calculating ROI
- Other considerations
Watch this video to learn how Digital Authority Partners designs software that works for your business!
What Is ROI?
ROI, or return on investment, is a way to measure the value or benefits you can gain from an investment compared to its cost. It helps you determine whether the effect of custom software on your San Diego business is worth the money spent.
If you are hesitant, defining ROI can help you decide between custom and packaged software. In simpler terms, it helps you figure out if custom software is best for your business.
To accurately calculate the ROI, you must identify all the costs of building custom software. These can include:
1. Hiring Software Developers: You may need to hire skilled software developers or a development agency to get the exact program you want. These experts can design, code, and build a program according to your needs.
2. Tools and Equipment: Building custom software may require purchasing certain tools, licenses, or hardware devices to support development.
3. Maintenance and Support: Once the software is developed, you must consider ongoing maintenance and support costs. These may include bug fixes, updates, and technical assistance.
Determining Quantifiable Benefits
Quantifiable benefits are measurable advantages that you can directly attribute to custom software. You can better understand their value to your business once they are identified and quantified. Let us discuss some of these benefits in more detail.
1. Time Savings
Custom software can help automate manual tasks. It can also streamline workflows and remove repetitive processes. Reducing the time spent on these activities can help employees focus on more important tasks and increase productivity.
Take, for example, a program to automate data entry that previously took 2 hours a day. If the employee's hourly rate is $15, the time savings would be $30 per day or $900 monthly.
2. Increased Productivity
Custom software can provide tools and features that enhance productivity. It can give employees access to information or make collaboration more efficient, significantly speeding up their work. You can quantify the impact by measuring the increase in output or efficiency.
For instance, if the program enables a team to complete 20% more tasks in the same time frame, you can calculate the value of the additional output.
3. Cost Reduction
Custom software can help reduce costs by improving operational efficiency and reducing errors. For instance, if the program helps eliminate manual data entry errors that previously cost $500 per month to rectify, the cost reduction would be $500 or $6,000 per year.
4. Revenue Generation
In some cases, custom software can directly contribute to revenue generation. Consider a program that enables online sales or improves the user experience. For e-commerce companies, such a program can lead to increased sales and revenue. You can track the revenue generated through the software and calculate the return on that investment.
To accurately determine quantifiable benefits, you may need to gather data, track metrics, and conduct analysis before and after implementing the custom software. This provides a clearer picture of the effect and assigns monetary values to the benefits.
Assessing the Value of Intangibles
Intangibles are benefits that, although not easily measurable in monetary terms, can still add value to your business. Here are some intangible benefits of custom software:
- Enhanced Reputation: A well-designed and efficient custom software solution can improve your company's reputation among clients, partners, and stakeholders. It showcases your commitment to technological advancements and can differentiate you from competitors.
- Customer Satisfaction: Custom software that meets customers' unique needs can enhance their experience and satisfaction. This can increase loyalty, positive word-of-mouth referrals, and potential business growth.
- Competitive Advantage: Custom software tailored to your business processes can give you a competitive edge in the market. It can differentiate your offerings and provide unique value propositions to your customers.
To accurately calculate the ROI, you must gather data on costs and benefits. This might involve:
- Cost Documentation: Collect invoices, quotes, and expense records related to hiring developers, purchasing tools or equipment, and ongoing maintenance costs.
- Time Tracking: Keep track of the time spent on tasks before and after implementing the software to measure time savings and productivity improvements.
- Error and Issue Logs: Record the frequency and effect of errors or issues before and after the software implementation to evaluate the error reduction.
- Surveys or Feedback: Gather feedback from employees, customers, or stakeholders to assess the intangible benefits, such as reputation enhancement and customer satisfaction.
ROI is like a report card for your money. To calculate the simple ROI, you can use the following formula:
ROI = (Net Profit / Cost of Investment) x 100
First determine net profit. This is the sum of the total benefits minus the total costs. Remember to factor in the assessed value of intangibles (any extra perks that do not have a specific dollar amount). Divide that figure by the cost of the software. Then multiply that amount by 100 to learn the ROI percentage. Once you have that figure, you can compare it to other investment opportunities or industry benchmarks. Then, you can make an informed decision.
Calculating ROI lets you see how well this investment is doing compared to other ways you have invested in your business. For instance, if you have an SEO partner in San Diego, evaluating ROI can assist in determining the effectiveness of this investment compared to other potential avenues for your money.
Other Considerations in Calculating ROI
Although ROI is an important indicator of whether investing in custom software is worthwhile, other factors to consider when deciding whether custom software is worth the cost are:
- Long-Term Impact: Custom software may have long-term benefits for your business. Consider how the program can support your future growth. Think of how it can adapt to changing needs and provide a competitive advantage in the industry.
- Specific Needs: Assess whether off-the-shelf software solutions can adequately meet your business requirements or if custom software is necessary to address unique challenges or processes.
- Collaboration with Professionals: Working with a reputable San Diego software development agency can help you navigate the process. Speaking to a consultant can teach you the potential risks and benefits and ensure you get the best value for your investment. Their expertise can contribute to the success of your custom software.
Software development is a tricky business. It can be an even more complex process if you want custom software. As a San Diego business, you want to ensure you get your money’s worth. If you want a San Diego software development agency that can deliver, contact Digital Authority Partners. We will be delighted to discuss how we can help you build the custom software your business needs.
Want To Meet Our Expert Team?
Book a meeting directly here