5 Factors To Consider if You Want the Best Web Developer
Web developers are not created equal. Many may be good, but not all are suitable for your needs. Find the right Chicago web development agency by considering these five factors:
- Project type
- Team model
- Soft skills
Learn what matters to you and your business before deciding. Read the article below. Let’s go!
To learn how Digital Authority Partners can create a standout website for you, watch this video!
Choosing a Chicago web development agency based on price alone is not the best idea. As the saying goes, “You get what you pay for.” Usually, this means that going cheap means you might not actually save money but end up with subpar work, miscommunication, and project failure.
However, recognizing that most businesses do have to pay attention to costs, at least some attention to budgeting matters because it:
- Helps determine the type of web developer you can afford
- Sets realistic expectations (e.g., low-cost services may include using templates)
- Lets you adjust your online marketing goals
- Guarantees you will have enough resources for other needs, such as business continuity management.
Web development teams today offer several pricing models for different types of clients:
- Hourly/project rates
- Retainer fees for ongoing maintenance and support
- Value-based pricing (e.g., different rates for custom solutions)
- Subscription (e.g., monthly, or annually)
- Equity-based, where an agency earns money based on the project’s profit
Generally, a website with basic functionalities costs less than $25,000. Those with advanced features, such as e-commerce, payment gateways, and complex integrations, range from $50,000 to $100,000.
2. Project Type
Web development projects can vary in length depending on their complexity. Building a small site with about five pages takes two to three months if templates are not used.
Complex projects, on the other hand, can take six months to a year. These can include:
- Content-heavy sites that require frequent updates
- Websites with complex features, such as membership, mobile apps, and e-commerce
- Pages optimized for search engines
- Online stores built from scratch
- Custom content management system development
The best Chicago web development agency assigns a project manager to oversee progress and report on milestones.
It also presents an actionable timeline. If it says it can finish an Amazon-type store in three months, it is likely overpromising and underdelivering.
Web developers are categorized in a variety of ways, including:
- Back-end developers manage the server-side functionality that enables websites to function properly, manage data, and perform tasks.
- Full-stack developers work proficiently in both front-end and back-end development.
- Specialized developers work on specific web-related projects. These include mobile app development or e-commerce websites.
When confronted with these choices, take the following steps to narrow them down:
- Take a deep dive into your project's needs. Do you need someone to manage your database? Would you like to integrate your mobile app and website seamlessly? Does your interface look clunky and have a poor user experience?
- Look into their portfolio. This t can give you an idea of the type and quality of projects on which they have previously worked. Have they worked with a business like yours? What was the outcome?
- Evaluate their expertise. Ask for a solution to the challenges that come with your project. How would the agency manage it?
- Know your goals over time. Do you want to introduce one-click payments in the future? How about adding an augmented reality (AR) experience to your site?
4. Freelance or Agency
Small businesses typically do not maintain an in-house tech team to lower their overhead costs. This can also be your path.
The question is, which should you choose: a freelance professional or an agency? Each has its pros and cons. Let us start by discussing a freelancer.
Sometimes called a contractor or consultant, a freelance web developer is an individual who often works by himself. Often, they can be more affordable. If you have a limited budget, they do not require much overhead or infrastructure to get started with your project.
Furthermore, when you work with an individual, communication is usually direct. You can easily track their progress and clarify your instructions.
- You risk working with someone has less experience or is somewhat less flexible in approach. This can eventually lead to inferior results and even more problems.
- They cannot handle large and complex projects unless you are willing to be very patient.
- If that person stalls or quits, you do not have a backup.
Alternatively, Chicago web development agencies can offer the same services as freelancers but with more advantages. For instance:
- They have access to additional resources and personnel.
- You can scale your project as needed without searching for new talent.
- Agencies are also more dependable. They have a proven record and the necessary infrastructure to ensure success.
- You can expect better customer service since their goal is to satisfy customers.
The downside of working with an agency is its higher costs due to overhead. The team must maintain various hardware types, such as servers and computers, and invest in the best and latest platforms.
Additionally, because agencies typically work with multiple clients simultaneously, your project may not get the individualized attention that you think it deserves. They may also be less flexible than a freelancer when making changes or adjustments to your website.
5. Soft Skills
Do you want to work with someone who is disengaged or hardly communicates with you? The answer is no. You need to have the best partnership with the team.
You should go beyond looking at technical expertise when selecting your web developer. Consider their soft skills too. Find those developers that possess the following:
- Effective communication skills. How do they explain technical concepts in plain terms? Do they keep you informed of their progress? How often?
- Problem-solving abilities. Are they capable of troubleshooting? Can they think quickly and produce solutions?
- Teamwork and collaboration. Do they have experience working with remote teams? How well do they collaborate with clients and designers?
- Time management. Can they work quickly and efficiently without compromising the quality of their output?
- Organizational skills. Do they have an eye for detail? Can they take charge of their tasks without your explicit instructions?
- Adaptability. Are they open to learning innovative technologies and approaches? How do they handle tight deadlines or unexpected changes?
Your choice of a web developer can make or break your business, so do not rush. Use the five factors above to limit your choices to pick the right fit.
If you are looking for a reliable and experienced web development partner, look no further than Digital Authority Partners (DAP). We have a proven history of delivering high-quality, custom solutions that meet and exceed client expectations. Do not hesitate to contact us today to learn how we can help.
Want To Meet Our Expert Team?
Book a meeting directly here