5 Custom Software Development Nightmares You Can Stop Now
If your business is like most, you have experienced the fear and frustration that come along with development nightmares. The search for a tailored, efficient application can involve unexpected delays, a lack of resources, and numerous roadblocks.
A Chicago custom software development agency helps you avoid these issues by knowing your pain points and needs. However, learning about these challenges and their quick fixes also pays off.
Here are five:
- Bad planning that burns cash flow fast.
- Inconsistent coding standards that confuse and slow down the development process.
- Poorly documented requirements that leave the team guessing what to build.
- Not enough resources that lead to unrealistic deadlines and burnout.
- Inadequate testing that causes flaws and bugs after product launch.
Learn more about how to avoid these problems in the article below. Let’s go!
Watch this video to learn how Digital Authority Partners designs software that works for your business!
1. Bad Planning Burning Cash Flow Fast
Apps do not have the best batting average. Most die an unfortunate death even before they can take off. Although a budget is a major factor, bad planning speeds up the burn rate.
The question is, "What is the best way to plan?” A reliable custom software development firm usually takes a customer-centric approach. It focuses on discovering customer needs before designing solutions that meet them, meaning the team prioritizes customer feedback. It adopts an agile approach, allowing room for improvement, innovation, and flexibility.
For example, the team can create a prototype as soon as possible, allowing stakeholders to see how the product works and receive valuable reviews. They can use the information to improve the product and meet customer expectations.
2. Inconsistent Coding Standards Confusing and Slowing Development
Inconsistent coding impacts the software development process in a few ways:
- Developers spend more time deciphering coding styles, slowing down productivity.
- When codes are not uniform, that can merge conflicts and hinder the ability to debug code quickly.
- Fixing and updating codes becomes more complex and time-consuming.
Eliminate the problem and ensure safety with custom software development through coding standards. Create guidelines for formatting, naming conventions, and code styles. This helps to ensure a cohesive approach across the entire development team.
Code review processes are also integral. Having more eyes on a codebase helps developers catch potential inconsistencies and errors.
3. Poorly Documented Requirements Leaving Teams Guessing
Software developers often fail to create the necessary documentation for many reasons, including:
- They might not have a clear idea of what information to include.
- The team lacks a structured approach to documenting the code.
- They may feel that documentation is time-consuming. Instead, developers prioritize other aspects of software development, such as coding, testing, or fixing errors.
A Chicago custom software development agency takes many steps to document the entire process. It does the following:
- Determines the purpose of the documentation and the intended audience. It may include screenshots, user manuals, or release notes.
- Identifies any technical terms or jargon and provides clear definitions. Adding visual aids such as diagrams can help explain complex concepts.
- Organizes the documentation in a clear, logical manner for easy reference.
4. Not Enough Resources Leading To Unrealistic Deadlines
A looming deadline can cause great distress for many employees. However, what happens when it becomes unattainable because of a lack of resources? The answer is burnout.
When employees feel overworked and stressed, their job satisfaction decreases. It often results in reduced motivation and higher attrition.
In addition, burnout might tempt the team to take shortcuts or sacrifice attention to detail to meet the deadline. This only increases the risk of costly mistakes and further frustration.
Burnout also hurts team dynamics and workplace culture, causing poor employee communication and collaboration.
How can you balance the budget, profits, and employee well-being? You can consider many solutions, such as:
- Maximizing custom software development technologies, including automation to free up employees’ time.
- Fostering a culture of open communication, feedback, and recognition.
- Providing flexible working options and enabling remote work, if possible.
- Encouraging regular breaks for employees to step away from their work.
- Performing sprints and scrum to manage project timelines and expectations better.
- Providing opportunities for professional development and growth to enhance efficiency and motivation.
5. Inadequate Testing Causing Flaws and Bugs after Product Launch
Creating software is complicated. It often requires careful attention to detail throughout the process. One of the most critical elements of software development is testing. It uncovers bugs and other issues that can ruin functionality and the user experience.
Unfortunately, sometimes testing is inadequate. This usually happens when:
- The team underestimated the amount of time needed to test the software.
- They lack expertise in testing and quality assurance.
- The pressure of deadlines leads to incomplete tests.
One of the biggest issues with poor testing is the increased risk of bugs or data breaches. In 2022, stolen data records will cost $150,000 — a huge price for small businesses.
You can conduct sufficient quality testing with these tips:
- Establish clear criteria from the outset to ensure that the testing process is sufficient. Include functional requirements, acceptance criteria, and performance benchmarks.
- Consider combining automated and manual testing methods to get a well-rounded picture of how your software is performing.
- Scheduled, regular testing. The more complicated the app is, the more frequent this step should be.
Embracing custom software development can feel like a risky venture. However, this does not have to be the case. Understanding the usual pitfalls that companies encounter and how to avoid them can ensure that a successful project meets your business goals and objectives.
You can prevent these challenges at the onset by working with a Chicago custom software development agency. Digital Authority Partners (DAP) understands the nuances of application development in your niche and knows how to navigate problems.
We have a proven track record of creating reliable applications that help our clients quickly and efficiently achieve their business goals. Contact us today to discuss how our software development team can help your organization.
Want To Meet Our Expert Team?
Book a meeting directly here