Which Will Take Over the US? Super vs Mobile App Development
In today’s rapidly evolving world of technology, super apps and individual platforms fight for dominance. Which will take the lead in the United States?
A mobile app development agency in Chicago easily does both, but super apps are less likely to flourish — at least today.
To know why, we answer the following questions in this article:
- What are super apps, and how do they compare to standalone mobile apps?
- Why are they incredibly popular in Asia and Latin America?
- How are factors such as financial regulations and traditional institutions preventing super apps from gaining traction in the United States?
- What is the future of these types of platforms in America?
Ready to know the answers? Let’s go!
100+ companies trust us with their mobile app development needs. Watch the video below to learn why.
Super Apps: The One-Stop Solution
Super apps are one of the fastest-growing mobile app development trends today because everything a user might need is already on the platform.
Some good examples include:
- Indonesia’s Gojek – It lets its users order food and book taxi rides, massage services, laundry pickup, and more.
- Latin America’s Rappi – This on-demand mobile app lets users buy groceries, get meals, withdraw cash, and book a dog-walking service.
- Grab – This Southeast Asian ride-hailing, food delivery, and digital payment platform operates in eight countries.
In the United States, we have Amazon, where users can order groceries, buy books, and set up an e-commerce shop. Google and Apple, two tech giants, also share similar services. These include file storage, cloud computing services, and digital payment solutions.
How Different Are Super Apps From Stand-Alone Platforms?
Super apps share many different features:
- Multiple services
- Seamless user experience
- Third-party integrations
- Mobile payments
Super apps also have an ecosystem. This means all solutions relate to one another—they make sense. Take WeChat, for instance. In the app, users can:
- Deposit, top up, and withdraw money and cryptocurrencies
- Pay utility bills
- Send red packets during Lunar New Year
- Access e-commerce shops, such as JingDong (JD) and Dazhong Dianping (which works like Groupon)
Lastly, super apps are more common in Asia-Pacific and Latin America than in the United States.
The Challenges of Super Apps in America
Contrary to popular belief, users are not an issue in super-app adoption in the United States. In 2022, PYMNTS revealed that 25% were extremely or very interested, while 72% were slightly interested.
So what is stopping these supers from dominating the United States? It is a combination of several factors.
The country has one of the biggest banking industries in the world, with at least 10,000 financial institutions. And that is both good and bad news for these types of apps:
- Banking is highly regulated, so a platform that wants financial-related solutions must first get approval from the appropriate authorities.
- The massive number of banks also means that integration could be challenging for super apps. Each institution has different processes and requirements, increasing costs and time to market.
- If fintech apps succeed in offering banking services, traditional institutions will face a widening gap between them and their clients, potentially destabilizing the existing financial market.
- Banking penetration in other regions, such as Asia, is low. In these places, users need alternative payment services, which these apps offer.
Super apps are notorious for collecting massive amounts of personal data, which will not sit well with at least 45% of Americans.
And although the United States does not have stellar credibility with consumer protection, its banks actually enjoy a good reputation among their clients despite recent news of collapses and instability. However, many traditional ones are less likely to offer super apps.
3. Internet Connectivity
Another issue is the occasional lack of or poor Internet connectivity. Few states and cities in the US have issues with this; the problem is more pressing in Asia and Latin America. Couple that with low-powered mobile phones in these two regions.
Super apps help these users make the most of their Internet connections and mobile devices. They usually consume fewer resources, such as RAM and battery power. They are also designed while considering local users who need more lightweight platforms. But the US needs these far less.
4. Access To Technology and Talent
The United States has the most fintech startups in the world. It is home to nearly 11,000 companies, compared to fewer than 10,000 in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa (EMEA). Asia-Pacific only has 6,000+.
America has a highly competitive and innovative technology industry, with many teams constantly developing new apps and services. This can make it difficult for a single app to dominate the market and offer a wide range of services.
What Is the Future of Super Apps in the United States?
With these barriers, does this mean that super apps will never work in the United States? Not necessarily.
The increasingly mobile-friendly population, more app security options, the high demand for mobile services, and the widespread adoption of streaming platforms in the country are all aspects that could make these apps suitable for American users.
Chicago's best mobile app development agency has teams that can build and launch super apps catering to American users. They focus on satisfying customer needs, creating an easy user experience, and offering a competitive edge over traditional services.
Lastly, financial institutions, whether or not they are fully digital, are warming up to the idea. In 2021, PayPal launched its version of a super app. The platform expanded to include savings, bill payment, shopping, and cryptocurrency.
It will take a while, but the United States will never miss taking a big bite of these apps’ market share.
Stand-alone mobile apps are more popular in the United States today, but super apps can be just as successful. After all, economic conditions, regulations, market demands, and innovation can change and improve.
Whether you want to create a super or a single app, you need the right mobile development agency in Chicago to help, like Digital Authority Partners (DAP). Contact us today and let us talk about how to make convenient, profitable, and useful platforms.
Want To Meet Our Expert Team?
Book a meeting directly here