Web Development: In-House or Hire Out? Which Is Better?
As a business owner, you must make tough decisions. For example, should you hire a Chicago web development agency or build an in-house team?
This article aims to help you answer this question by:
- Sharing the pros and cons of an in-house and outsourced web development team
- Enumerating the factors that can impact your choice
Be more confident with your selection by comparing your two options below. Let’s go!
To learn how Digital Authority Partners can create a standout website for you, watch this video!
In-House vs. Outsourcing Web Development Agencies
Chicago businesses that want to maximize online exposure to drive web traffic and increase revenues need a solid web development team. Although you can always build websites (and even apps), you cannot place a price tag on the value of expertise and specialization.
- Understand the fundamental principles of user-friendly, accessible sites.
- Invest in training to keep themselves updated on the latest technologies, innovations, and trends.
- Have the right training and educational background to create professional, flexible websites.
- Foresee the potential issues and risks that can impede the website's success.
- Keep your pages safe with the best security measures.
The question is, which is better: an in-house team or an established Chicago web development agency?
Benefits and Downsides of an In-House Website Development Department
|- 100% control over the project and outcome
- Faster decision-making
- Easy communication
- People who fit and understand the organizational culture and vision
|- High costs and turnover
- Difficulty finding talent
- Legal challenges during economic downturns
One of the biggest motivators for building your team is having the greatest amount of control over the project and its results. Some web development agencies can overstep their boundaries. They might introduce changes and ideas that you do not want because these changes do not align with your brand.
Having in-house developers does not mean that they cannot suggest or contradict ideas. Some of the best innovations happen when opinions clash. However, you have people who respect your final decision.
Another benefit is faster decision-making, partly because of easy communication. Even with some or all of your development team working remotely, you can still collaborate using tools such as Slack and Zoom.
Finally, having an in-house team of website developers who understand your culture can make a difference. They can create a website that reflects your image and values because they are intimately familiar with your vision and message.
On the other hand, managing an in-house team of web developers comes with several drawbacks. It is one of the costliest operations for your business, especially when it comes to hiring and keeping talent. These costs include:
- Salaries over $50,000 a year
- Benefits such as healthcare, vision, and dental insurance
- Retirement contributions
- Equipment and software
- Cost of training and onboarding
Finding the right people for the job is also challenging, especially if you do not have an extensive network of contacts. You may need to hire a recruiter, which is an added expense.
Further, what happens when the economy worsens, and you cannot keep them? Layoffs come with massive costs and even legal implications.
Why You Should Work (or Not) with a Web Development Agency
- Access to specialized talent
- Better infrastructure
- Focus on your core business operations
|- Security risks
- Challenges in communication
- Possible hidden costs
You know what to expect if you build a team, but how does it compare to outsourcing? Such companies are not cheap. For example, a three-month project involving a simple website can cost at least $10,000.
However, working with a Chicago web development agency is often more cost-effective in the following ways:
- No need to pay salaries, benefits, and overheads.
- Flexibility in contracts and pricing (e.g., get a fixed rate or pay only for the service you need).
- Zero investment in expensive software, hardware, and training.
In addition, they give you a valuable resource: time. Instead of finding and managing more people, you can use that time to focus on other critical business activities that lead to higher sales or cash flow. These include marketing, customer service, and product and service innovation.
Another advantage of working with an outside web development team is access to specialized talent. This is vital when your project is complex, such as mobile app development, database management, or interactive web design.
Although the pros are great, here are the cons of hiring a web development agency:
- Security threats. Most of the time, your confidential data is on their system. Even if you trust them implicitly, what happens if they get hacked or go out of business?
- Communication gaps. It is not unusual to find both parties speaking different languages and/or separated by time zones. Moreover, they may have other clients who often get priority in their workflow.
- Hidden costs. The price on the quote may not include additional services, such as hosting, maintenance, and support. The expenses also go up when you encounter delays and setbacks.
Make an Informed Decision by Asking Relevant Questions
In the end, one is not always better than the other. The decision depends on many factors when choosing a web developer. Use these questions to further pinpoint your options:
- Business type. Are you a tech startup, an e-commerce site, or a medium- to large-sized business?
- Scale of the project. What is your plan -– a one-time website revamp or regular maintenance support? How complex is it? Do you want to add new features or expand its scope?
- Objectives. Why do you need a web development team? Do you plan to make an app later?
- Budget and financial constraints. How much can you spend on web development? For what are you willing to pay?
- Team size. How many developers will you need?
- Timeframe and deadline. When do you need the website up and running? Based on the project, how long is the estimated time for completion?
- Tech know-how. How much do you know about website design or development? Can you realistically manage such a team?
There is no one-size-fits-all formula for website development services. Instead, use all of this information to help you weigh your options and make the best business decision.
If you need more information about outsourcing, Digital Authority Partners (DAP) can provide the necessary insights. Contact us to discuss how we can help you.
Want To Meet Our Expert Team?
Book a meeting directly here