5 Ways Doctors Win Patients With Healthcare Content Marketing
With billions of dollars at stake, the health and wellness space provides ample opportunities for marketers to differentiate themselves and their brands. But with so much on the line, how can you ensure your marketing efforts resonate with patients and drive a return on investment (ROI)? The answer may lie in healthcare content marketing.
This blog post enumerates how a strategic, user-driven content marketing plan can attract — and retain — patients:
- Producing interesting and useful content establishes doctors as thought leaders.
- Patients can use healthcare content to advocate for themselves.
- Staying updated with trends helps doctors understand their patients better.
- The right content builds a more personal relationship with patients.
- Healthcare content marketing creates a compelling brand story.
Read further to learn more about each point.
5 Ways Medical Content Marketing Drives and Keeps Patients
The healthcare industry is massive and lucrative. The digital sector, for example, could achieve a nearly 25% compound annual growth rate (CAGR) by 2030.
But while it is profitable, it is also becoming more competitive. Medical practices should enhance their online marketing strategy to remain relevant and compete, beginning with a robust content marketing plan.
1. Producing Interesting and Useful Content Establishes Doctors as Thought Leaders
Many people still see doctors as trustworthy, but the COVID-19 pandemic has overall hurt the medical industry’s credibility, partly through a sense of a lack of preparedness and partly because of misinformation. But the complications for healthcare providers are significant.
Doubtful patients, for example, may engage in doctor hopping. They may even avoid medical practices altogether, along with regular checkups and vaccinations, potentially increasing future healthcare costs.
There's no better time for doctors to win back patient trust than today, and content marketing can help them achieve it:
- Google has E-A-T guidelines. Those doing medical SEO should create articles that show expertise, authoritativeness, and trustworthiness. Doing so helps them rank higher in the search results.
- Social media and local business profiles allow patients to leave reviews. Many studies reveal that people are more likely to trust the recommendations of friends and family. Clinics and hospitals can boost trust by encouraging patients to leave feedback and reviews.
- Search engines disapprove of ads that violate policies. Ad policies ensure medical PPC campaigns protect patient privacy, avoid misleading information, and don't guarantee certain results.
2. Patients Can Use Healthcare Content to Advocate for Themselves
The growing popularity of Dr. Google only shows that patients want to advocate for themselves, voice their preferences, and make even tough health decisions. But they also require consistent medical guidance.
Content marketing for healthcare allows providers, from doctors to nurses, to advise and lead while giving patients the chance to think for themselves.
- Long-form content types, such as case studies and ebooks, provide in-depth self-education.
- Patient portals and forums offer a space where patients can connect with others who have similar health concerns or treatments.
- Online courses, such as webinars and podcasts, can comprehensively cover even the most sensitive topics.
- Social media lets healthcare providers answer general medical questions and concerns.
- Emails may share health and wellness tips, news, and other updates that patients can use to improve their lives.
3. Staying Updated with Trends Helps Doctors Understand Their Patients Better
If you're an amazing doctor struggling to increase or keep patients, you might have issues understanding their needs.
The patient profile in the 1970s was so different from what it is now that some providers find it challenging to cope. But knowing the high quality content marketing trends can help you understand the trends and changes in patient behavior.
Some of the significant healthcare content marketing trends to know include:
- First-party-data-driven content. Brands that control the platforms where customers interact with them, such as patient portals and app notifications, have a competitive advantage since they can collect and use the information to improve the customer experience.
- Artificial intelligence (AI). It can help identify the best content to produce and personalize it for each patient. AI can also improve your SEO by analyzing user behavior and understanding the relationship between different concepts.
- Local SEO. It allows providers to focus on their areas and become more visible to patients searching for local options.
- Multi-channel content strategy. It's no longer enough to be present on one platform since patients use several when looking for medical information or a new provider. A sound strategy should include an owned website, active social media accounts, and a blog, at the very least.
4. The Right Content Builds a More Personal Relationship with Patients
A one-on-one relationship is essential in healthcare. It differentiates the best doctors from the rest and allows them to offer comprehensive, personalized care.
Unfortunately, the traditional medical system often gets in the way by forcing providers to see too many patients in a day. The result is less time for each individual and a less personal relationship.
Medical content marketing can help you build a more personal connection with patients by:
- Giving you a chance to connect with them outside of appointments. You can email them educational materials, for example, or invite them to subscribe to your blog, where they can read about your thoughts on the latest medical news.
- Encouraging two-way communication. You can use a patient portal to allow patients to ask questions, give feedback, or request appointments. These interactions will help you understand them better and improve the quality of care you provide.
- Showing your personality. Being relatable goes a long way in healthcare since patients are looking for someone they can trust. You can share personal stories, advice, or even humor to show that you're more than just a doctor.
- Offering an immediate connection. Patients can reach out to you anytime through social media or your website's contact form. They don't have to wait for an appointment to get answers to their questions.
5. Healthcare Content Marketing Creates a Compelling Brand Story
Your brand — the unique combination of values, personality, and promise — makes patients want to come to you instead of anyone else.
A strong brand story is essential to success in any industry, but it's even more critical in healthcare. After all, patients are entrusting you with their lives. They need to know they can count on you to provide the best care possible.
Your content is the best way to share your brand story and connect with patients on an emotional level. You can use it to show them who you are, what you stand for, and how you can help them.
Some of the most effective storytelling techniques include:
- Customer testimonials. Showing what other patients have to say about you is one of the best ways to build trust and credibility. It's also more impactful than anything you could say about yourself.
- Case studies. These provide an in-depth look at how you've helped other patients and the results you've achieved. They're an excellent way to demonstrate your expertise.
- Personal stories. Sharing your own experiences can help patients see you as a real person with empathy for their situation. It's a powerful way to build trust and show them that you understand what they're going through.
Healthcare content marketing is an essential part of any provider's marketing strategy. It helps you build trust, credibility, and relationships with patients while differentiating your brand and growing your practice.
Now is the time to start if you're not already using content to market your healthcare business. These five reasons should be all the motivation you need to do it.
If you need help, Digital Authority Partners (DAP) is a full-service content marketing agency specializing in the healthcare industry. We understand the unique challenges and opportunities of marketing healthcare companies and can help you create content that engages and grows your audience.
Contact us today to learn more about our services or receive actionable tips on how to get started.
Want to meet with our team?
Book a meeting directly here